Good News, Fedora!

I live in Massachusetts now. It's very hilly. I've quickly realized that prior to this moment I had no earthly clue what a hill really was. That the slow sloping affairs of back west hardly even qualify as beginning to count as the starts of actual hills. Or something. Point being, shit be steep here, yo.

Other things about Massachusetts you should know if you plan on visiting: It's not actually possible to find your way around out here. I mean, they say it is, and they have maps that supposedly can show you where to go (some of these maps are available on the internet), but this is all lies. Or maybe I'm just getting used to a system of streets that are set up along 300 year old wagon trails and property lines that pre-date the formation of the United States of America. Basically, travelling from one spot to another consists of completely ignoring the cardinal directions and clinging like hell to route 9, because that takes you just about everywhere eventually.

This is where I live, as seen from outer space:















And this is that it looks like sometimes on the ground:


















But I should point out that I didn't take that photo and it's not even close to being the view from my apartment, so don't get your hopes up, Fedora.

Another thing is that I am lesson planning my first ever class. I am debating the merits of having students read a short essay about Chicago by Charles D'Abmrosio or a longer(er) essay about Lobsters by David Foster Wallace. Both get across, I think, my point. Or maybe I should skip assigning an essay on the first day? But I don't want to. I want to make them read and read and read. And write. I'm supposed to teach them how to write. They (the people in charge) have stressed this last point profusely.

Also, let's not get too worked up over Taylor Martinez now. Yes, he looked good in game one. Considering the opponent, this is not saying much. End of husker football talk.

Xoxoxoxo,
The Marlin

0 comments: